Monday, October 20, 2008

Practical Monday - A Little Chicken Goes A Long Way

Over the weekend I purchased a whole organic chicken to make a chicken pot pie and knew I would have some leftover. Well who knew this would be one hearty chicken. At a little over 4 pounds I got a large chicken pot pie (enough for 5-6 servings), 2 chicken salads and 2 meals. It averaged out to be about $1.00 of chicken per serving, which is much less than if I purchased chicken breast or even tenders to make all of that.

To save time I boiled it for about 1 hour (while cleaning) in a pasta pot, so I could lift the chicken out in the strainer. Then I let it cool, pulled it apart and stored the chicken until the next night when I made the pot pie.

So the next time your at the grocery store think practical and think about purchasing a whole chicken. A little chicken goes a long way!

Enjoy!
Laura

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Don't forget that you can take your chicken one step further and make your own broth in a crockpot no less! Check it out!

http://livinglocalnh.blogspot.com/2008/08/cookin-whole-chicken.html

Great post!